spoon

On The Menu

"Beef Wellington"

0

Category : , , ,

Dinner last night probably couldn't be truly considered a Beef Wellington because we didn't use pate or foie gras or mushroom duxelle, but it turned out pretty good. I substituted a spinach, cream cheese, and caramelized onion mixture instead. Turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Next time I'll follow Gordon Ramsay's recipe (found here) and wrap the beef with parma ham and let it sit while I roll out the dough. This would make it a much tighter package.

Recipe is as follows:

1. Sear your beef. I had a nice piece of Chataubriand left over from portioning the whole beef tenderloin that was just sitting in the freezer.





2. Take the beef out and let it rest.

3. Saute onions, garlic and shallots until nice and brown and caramelized.




4. Mix frozen spinach (thawed and drained) with cream cheese and onion mix.



5. Rub mustard over the beef.



6. Roll out the puff pastry.



7. Spread down a layer of the spinach mix over the puff pastry and lay the beef down in the center. Roll it up.

8. Score and egg wash the whole thing. Sprinkle with salt.



9. Cook 30 minutes in the oven at 400.

10. Take it out and let it rest for 8-10 minutes.

11. Cut into thick slices and enjoy.





Things I would have done differently:

1. Sprayed the aluminum foil with non-stick spay.
2. Used parma ham as stated above.

Otherwise this turned out pretty good for my first try.

0 comments: