spoon

On The Menu

Portland, OR (Voodoo Donuts, Salvador Molly, Blue Pig Cafe)

0

Category :



We went to Portland and the Oregon Coast for a friend's wedding a couple of weekends ago. while there, we hit up the famous Voodoo Donuts, learned that Portland has an incredible food truck scene, and somehow ended up at a Man Vs Food restaurant without planning for it.

Voodoo Donuts

We've been wanting to go to Voodoo Donuts for the past year or so. I'd like to say it lived up to expectations, but I'm not sure it did. The selection of donuts is pretty intense. We went with the famous maple and bacon and the signature voodoo one, along with an oreo one for my little niece and also a fruit loop one to try.








The donuts themselves were very good donuts. The frosting was just a bit too much on the sweet side. I had to take a sugar induced crash nap immediately after eating one. The filling of the voodoo donut was really good though, a home made raspberry jam. Overall, I'd probably brave the lines to go back to Voodoo if I lived in the area from time to time, but I'd make sure I had a big glass of milk with me.

Voodoo Doughnut on Urbanspoon

Food Trucks

So I did not know the City of Roses had so many food trucks. When we found this out, we knew we were going to have to go and check it out for ourselves. Various blocks have anywhere from 3 to 15 different food trucks just waiting for us to come and try. We found parking very easily and everything smelled so good. Walking past a BBQ joint, a man asked us if we wanted a free sample. We said yes and it tasted good enough for us to want to split a sandwich. We had a couple of their homemade bbq sauces combined over our sandwich and it was pure tastiness. We scarfed that sandwich down before we even had a chance to walk to the next stall.




We got some cafe su da at the Vietnamese place next door to the BBQ spot and continued to walk and sniff at all the other places. At the end of the block was a sign for some Polish food, and Abby had to get herself a platter of pirogies. While Abby ate her platter, I stopped into a Korean taco truck and got two tacos, one beef and one chicken. Both of our meals were delicious and cheap.






We started getting full but I did not want to stop at all. We went to another block and ended up getting my brother some Banh Mi Sandwiches, but were too full to get anything for ourselves. Why can Boston not have food trucks like these? I'd be a happy food blogger.

Salvador Molly

So my brother suggested Salvador Molly's for dinner because he heard good things about it. We didn't realize that this was a spot that Man vs Food went too. Apparently you can do the Great Balls of Fire challenge if you like, but we didn't partake. However, we did get a spicy cheese fritter to see what it was all about. Tino, Abby, and myself had troubles with our small little bites. Lina and her sisters, who grew up eating spicy food in Indonesia, didn't even think it was all that hot. They would have done the challenge if the cheese fritter tasted better, but alas, the ball of fire was needed to hide the lack of taste.

I can't really remember much about my meal. I ordered one of the pork dishes because our waitress recommended it. It wasn't bad, just didn't wow me. Food did take a while to come out, but they were quite busy that night.







Not sure I'd go back to Salvador Molly's very often if I lived in the area, but it was a neat experience once.

Salvador Molly's on Urbanspoon

Blue Pig Cafe

Portions huge. Food good. Bacon in bloody mary.

Blue Pig Cafe on Urbanspoon



0 comments: