spoon

On The Menu

Big Recap From Last Week

0

Category : , , , ,

Shredded Chicken Tacos

We started last week off by making shredded chicken tacos. I've never made shredded chicken before, and I really don't know why. It's so freaking easy. I just seared the boneless chicken breasts on both sides, then covered with chicken broth and water and let it simmer for an hour or so. You can season this anyway you want. Since we were making tacos, I just added chili powder. I pulled the chicken out and then shredded it with a fork, then quickly cooked in the taco seasoning over the chicken on a pan. That's it. I'm going to have to learn what's in taco seasoning and not use the cheap taco packs anymore. It'll probably turn out even better. We made the onion/cilantro/lime juice salsa. This is an easy dinner.






Wedding Cake

So we chose our wedding cake. From our wedding package with our reception hotel, we had two choices: Kondieter Meister and Montillios. We had a bad experience at the former, and a great experience with the latter. Needless to say, Montillos is making our wedding cake. Since we went to both places on consecutive days, we ate way, way, way too much cake.

Lir and Kings Karaoke

Thursday night we went to Lir for a drink and a bite to eat before we were to go to Kings for some karaoke. I got a black and tan and their sliders...which turned out to be some of the worse sliders I've ever had. The patty was paper thin and dry and poorly seasoned. I've only eaten at Lir once before, when a friend had a birthday party there and had the buffet spread. I wouldn't discourage going there for dinner, just don't order the sliders.

Kings was fun. I normally am not a fan of karaoke, but since I knew I wasn't going to sing, and I had a few beers in me, I figured this was going to be a fun night. Sure enough, our friends Frank and Heidi, the showboats they are, took the stage and showed off. But they weren't the only singers there that night...no, there were some talented people who were showcasing their skills. I hate American Idol to death...I feel like I'm losing IQ points every second of watching it, but seeing these people sing at Kings with such great talent made me hate American Idol even more! How can that show allow the train wrecks, the people just wanting their 2 minutes on TV, the people who really know they can't sing but try to pretend like they can...how can that show keep encouraging that sort of crap, when there's all this talent out there on a random karaoke night? I recently heard of a book where the author spent a year traveling and hitting up as many karaoke nights as possible...after Thursday night, I wanted to go buy that book.

Oh, the famous Phantom Gourmet brothers were also there that night. I have to say, I thought they would roll with a better crowd. I'm sure three of the most well known Bostonians, rich because of their father, could get a better looking entourage. Abby says that two of them are married, so maybe that was their wives, but I can't seriously see these guys going out every night with their wives. They totally look like the sort of guys that would use their "fame" to get some side ass. What's funny is while I bash them, I still watch their show from time to time to find out about new restaurants. I like and respect what they do, in terms of getting people to try new places and different cuisines, I just don't like how they come off while doing it. Oh well...they rich and I'm not, so they must know what's up.

Honey Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes

Not sure if I ever gave the recipe for my famous Honey Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps or not, but they are so easy to make I can repeat it here. Cube some chicken breasts, cook in some butter over medium high heat until cooked through, add in orange juice and honey and let it boil, then bring it down to a simmer until the sauce is thickened. Be careful not to dry out the chicken though. Then wrap the chicken in lettuce (iceberg normally, but we went with green leaf this time) and eat. As a side, I made some Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes. Here, I just cute the baby red potatoes in half, minced some garlic and put it in some olive oil, coat the potatoes, then place in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Really simply.





I'll have a recap of Top Chef coming later today. We also have some pulled pork cooking in the crock pot right now for dinner. Can't wait. Pulled pork is the shizz!

0 comments: